You many not experience symptoms of dental decay right away, but it's important to visit your doctor as soon as you recognize the signs, which can range from tooth pain to dark spots. If you need a filling, Dr. Adel Mansour of Central Florida Cosmetic and Family Dentistry serving Kissimme and Hunters Creek, FL, can help.
What is a filling?
Fillings are used to treat dental decay, which is caused when sugars react with the bacteria in plaque, creating acids with eat away at your enamel. When your saliva is unable to neutralize all the acid, the excess can create a cavity in your tooth. Cavities can be coronal, forming on the top or between teeth, or formed in the root, which has no enamel to protect it. Even teeth that have fillings or crowns can form cavities through accumulation of plaque.
Decay isn't the only reason you may need a filling. If your teeth are cracked or worn down, your dentist serving Hunters Creek and Kissimmee may use a filling to repair and restore the surface. Your filling may be made of resin, silver amalgam or porcelain.
How do I know if I need a filling?
If you experience any of the following, you may need a filling:
- Tooth sensitivity, particularly when consuming hot or cold food or beverages
- A previous filling is chipped or missing
- You can see a dark spot or hole on the top of your tooth
- Sharp pain when chewing
- Teeth are fractured or covered with stress cracks
- Floss or food becomes caught between certain teeth
- Persistent bad breath or an unpleasant taste in your mouth
What habits or factors can contribute to needing a filling?
- Grinding or clenching your teeth
- Poor brushing and flossing habits
- Worn down enamel
It is important to make an appointment with your dentist as soon as you suspect you may need a filling, and to schedule regular cleanings and dental checkups to help uncover cavities before they create further decay.
Call Dr. Adel Mansour in Kissimmee, FL, and serving Hunters Creek at (407) 483-9990 for all your oral health questions and needs!